Sunday, March 27, 2011

Quality of Life?

In recent weeks, the topic of "quality of life" has come up over & over again. Mike & I have discussed this at length as we walk this journey together. Randi & Taylor, along with our doctors have respectfully listened & openly joined in these intimate conversations about living & dieing. These are "must have" conversations because life is so precious. Life is a gift. And, life is so brief! Mike & I agree that the exact same conversations are "must haves" when we're healthy, too! These are not to be saved for "terminal" illnesses. Questions of every life needs to include, "How do I want to live today?" "Whom do I serve?" "What am I here for?" "Where am I going?" "What is my purpose & am I fulfilling my calling?" "Who is God?" "Is He worth following?" "How can I help my fellow-man?" "Who is my neighbor & what can I do to show them Jesus?" "What do I do with my time on earth?" "Am I loving my spouse, my children, my family & friends the way God loves?" "How do I spend my time?" "How do I spend my money?" "Is my character following Jesus or self-serving?" "Am I living with integrity?" "What is the quality of my life?" See what I mean? These aren't questions we're just now asking ourselves for the first time because I have cancer. We're re-asking & re-evaluating so that life can continue to be lived the way it's supposed to be lived. We ask & live so our God is praised even in our weakest moments- because He deserves to be praised with these lives of our's. It's so easy to count the number of my days as more important than the substance of my days. Don't misunderstand! I want more numbers! I want more time! I want to do more things & spend more days with people I love! At the exact moment, I'm acutely aware every single day in my 54+ years has been a gift from a very loving Lord. These days are undeserved & given to me just because He loves me! He's created a cherished daughter in me & having these days gifted to me has absolutley NOTHING to do with my goodness, but, EVERYTHING to do with His! I thank Him with my whole heart for life! For Mike & me, living & loving in the Lord is quality. Doing our work whole-heartedly & serving others is quality. Loving our daughters & sons-in-law unconditionally is quality. Playing & laughing with grandchildren is quality. Going the distance is quality. Sharing Jesus' love is quality. (All this list is FAR from perfection on our part! Our lives are not even close to Beaver Cleaver's family who never seemed to fall short! LOL!) That's when depending solely on our faithful & powerful Lord is quality living! I'm thankful for these significant discussions on quality of life. They're vital to healthy living & purpose. It's important to have planted these "quality" stakes in the ground when the days are full & busy with living! Because, when dark days come (& they come in many more forms than just cancer!), the quality of life is not shaken! "As for me & my house, we will serve the Lord!" Doesn't get any better quality than that! Blessings!

1 comment:

  1. I am speechless, this an amazing post that could only be posted by someone who lives their life with an incredible faith. I love you guys and I think and pray for y'all everyday. Don Washburn

    ReplyDelete