Friday, September 30, 2011

"Why?" Sounds like a good question.

1999 was the year my mother-in-law died & went to be with our Lord. She & my father-in-law suffered with long-term illnesses overlapping a 10 year period. She had lymphoma & died with such peace. Our extended family grieved & rejoiced at the same time because it was such a blessing she go be with the Lord instead of staying here with nothing more to offer her in this life.
On December 1, 1999 I wrote down some of my thoughts on all the "whys?" in my life & circumstances we'd faced as a family. I want share a partial list of these with you now, & encourage you to make a list that applies to your own life.
"WHY?"
Isn't that a question we all ask God at various times in our lives? It occurred to me that I need to ask God"why" about some things I don't quite understand...
Why...
... was I born in a free country called America?
... was I raised in a godly home by godly parents?
... was I able to attend great schools wtih so many opportunites for learning?
... was I born with no physical handicaps?
... was born with great eyesight & hearing?
... was I able to walk & run everywhere I wanted as a child?
... have I gotten to hear the name of Jesus spoken my whole life?
... am I a middle-class Caucasion in a world where that is to my benefit?
... have I never gone hungry for even one day of my life?
... is anything I want of need so readilyavailable to me?
...was I born with a good mind?
... is it that I can freely assemble with others to worship You?
... has there always been a job opportunity for me?
... are You so patient with me.
... do You love me so?
... do I have so many ffriends & family to love me?
... do I have no worries of where I will sleep tonight?
... do I have a warm bed, lots of covers with central heat & air to comfort me?
... were my children born healthy?
... are both our girls so beautiful outwardly & inwardly?
... is the greatest medical technology available to me?
... am I provided a beautiful home with every possible convenience?
... is my closet full of clothes?
... can I choose between vehicles when I want to go somewhere?
... do I have so much that if it were cut in half, I wouldn't miss a thing?
... am I cherished so much by You that you'd send Jesus to die for a person like me?
... have You given me so much?

Lord, I ask you, "Why?" because it just doesn't seem fair, that You've given me so much, does it?
And the Lord said, "To whom much is given, much will be required.
- Sharon Washburn
12-1-99

If I were writing this same list today, it would be too long to imagine! So many friends have asked me if there's any anger towards God about giving me only 54 years. Of course, there's disappointment, but no anger at all as I don't deserve 54 years. The question would not be, "Why are You only giving me 54 years?" The correct question would be, "Why have You chosen to give me each day of 54 years that I don't deserve at all!" My life is a direct gift from you & I thank You."
I encourage you to make your own list that applies to your own life. Start asking God, "Why." Ask Him with thanksgiving instead of dread. Ask Him to reveal Himself on His goodness toward you. Asking God why He's so good keeps us on our knees of apprecieation toward Him. Start that list list tonight & keep it going because God keeps blessing, He keeps revealing & He continues to give & give & give!
Blessings!

2 comments:

  1. Sharon,

    You probably don't know me- but I'm a member of THCC and work at The CEC. I've been following your blog and have been blessed by your grace. I have more to say- could I have an email address? I shared your blog with a friend in Florida that lost her only son (29 yrs old) tragically about a year ago. Her name is Judy Platt and she also loves our Lord. She said after she read your blog that she felt an instant bond with you and would love to write you- So if it's ok with you I'd like to pass your email address on to her. Thank you for sharing yourself with us….. You have no idea how many lives you have touched. My email is kimdoege@reagan.com- Judy's is dirtpoordaisy@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is my all time favorite post you have ever written (and that is saying something). Love you guys and I think about you and Mike everyday.

    ReplyDelete