Sunday, August 16, 2009

By Myself... But, Not Alone!

Years ago Mike & I took a Singles church group backpacking each summer & it was always great fun. (I've written about it before.) One summer we decided to take a few days & just the 2 of us make a trek. It was a different dynamic to have only each other to depend on up in those vast mountains of Colorado. We followed the trail way up in the mountains, & on the 2nd day it ran out. Just stopped. The mountains are vast & we felt incredibly insignificant in comparison. Mike read the map & knew the direction we were to go, so off we went without a trail (we don't ever recommend this!) We knew where we were & had plenty of supplies, but went about 3 days without seeing another soul. Not another hiker- no one. It's fine for a while, then it can get creepy because the mountains are so huge & seeing people & just knowing they were around would've brought such comfort.

Just recently Taylor was here off & on for a month to help care for me & brought her 2 dogs with her, so I enjoyed having the added activity around. Both dogs just love to be loved, made us laugh & followed Taylor everywhere she went. Lexie & Ruger just wanted to be around people & each other. They're very social & just don't like to be alone for very long if there are people around, even if it means laying around at our feet. They are great company to Taylor & I'm very thankful she has her "buddies" with her always. Watching their interaction with all of us & each other is sometimes not all that different than what I want. There's a lot of comfort in being near to someone... even if it's quiet... it's the presence that means the most, not only the words.

Got to thinking the other day just how much having cancer has forced me to be by myself. All the scans, labs & radiation treatments are especially a one-person event since the dressing room is for women patients only & no one can be in the room for actual radiation for obvious reasons. It's taking me about 40 minutes for each treatment after I drive to the hospital. Changing clothes, waiting, all the exact positioning & shooting each precise angle all take some time & I'm by myself most of that time. But, I'm never alone. Sound crazy? Maybe so, but it's true.

Psalms 145:18 says, "The Lord is close to all who call on Him. Yes, to all who call on Him sincerely." This means so much to me because I'm NEVER alone in any of the treatments. I mean, NEVER. He promises His presence at all times. This is an amazing promise & commitment to me! It takes a lot of love to always be present in another's life. And, He does it. The peace & comfort He brings into my life is an amazing gift & one I'll not take for granted anymore. So, as I teach my grandsons that God is always there & He's always with them, it is no myth. It's true. Sometimes, many times, we have to live life events by ourselves, but Believers are never alone!

Blessings!

3 comments:

  1. Amen, good preaching, sister. I read your blog faithfully and pray faithfully for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! This is the thing I always wish I could explain to those who don't know the Lord! How beautiful it is just to have His PRESENCE with us! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You guys have alwasy been mentors to my family. Just watching ya's walk with the Lord is a wonderful testimony. We can always see Jesus in you!! Even though you haven't known it, you have continually on my mind and in my prayers. We love you & Mike lots.

    Roni Noel

    ReplyDelete