Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Another God Day!

Writing throughout this journey has been a blessing to me. It's allowed me to communicate with the people I love the most & if I should go back in time & read posts over the past 2 years, I'm reminded of what God had done for me & how He's been with me every step of the way. "It's God again!" comes to mind everyday! He's good & He's present & He provides!

A couple of months ago, He did it, again. I've not been in an emotional place to write about it & I'm praying no one misconstrues this to be a story about me, but will only see it as what God did for me. It's a God story, not a Sharon story. Anyway, I'm ready to share it & in doing so, bring Him praise - again- for being such a God!

Several months ago, immediately following my lung surgery, my Oncologist & Thorasic surgeon both gave permission for me to fly to San Diego to visit Taylor, Tyrel & Paisley. They also gave me direction to alert the airline staff of my situation & the possibility of needed oxygen on the flight should an "event" occure. At Mike's & my girl's encouragement, I allerted one of the Flight Attendents of my situation & the possibility of needing oxygen on the flight. Told her I was just giving them a "head's up" to my circumstance so they would not be surprised should an "event" take place on the flight.

The Flight Attendent was most gracious, shared with her co-worker's my possible need & all were informed & ready to help should I need anything. They told me they stood ready to assist in anyway, just say the word should I need anything at all. Nothing happened on the flight & no oxygen was needed, but it was nice to know they were up & ready to help me should my breathing become impaired on the flight. (I'm new at all this cancer journey & not at all used to being "the sick one".) I've actually had years go by at the jobs I had, with no sick days taken. I've been blessed beyond measure with good health until a couple of years ago. Anyway, all went well on the flight.

Several weeks later, May 18th, I fly again, back to Texas. The flight is completely full & I have an older man on my left & a woman in her 40's on my right. It may seem strange, but there are many times on a plane that I don't talk to the people around me but use that time to read & possibly rest these days. This was the case on this flight. No talking for me & the people by me didn't talk to me, either.

Because the plane was full & Flight Attendents were busy, I waited for a good opportunity to simply put "a bug in their ear" about my situation, so if an "event" happened, the staff wouldn't be caught off guard. The time was right so I motioned for the Flight Attendent to come close & said in a low voice to her exactly what I had said to the previous staff on the other flight. I'm not sure what happened next other than the Flight Attendent begins almost yelling at me at how I can't come on a flight & start making demands for oxygen. She continues her verbal "attack" towards me for a couple more minutes until I raise my hand to her & tell her to nevermind my remarks. I was completely taken back by her response to me! After surgeries & with the level of pain meds I take, tears come easily, so here they came! Tears down my cheeks & then some fear. Fear if something happened, I wouldn't be able to breathe. I was sitting in the middle seat & found myself in a very lonely place as I've not been spoken to like that & was taken by surprise. I was having trouble, then, catching my breath & my senses.

The woman sitting by me- all at once- puts both arms around me & holds me tight. She whispers in my ear that she's a nurse & if she has to chase the woman down, tackle her & put oxygen on me herself, she would do it. She calmed me by saying over & over, very quietly, that she knew that ordeal scared me, & I would get oxygen no matter what. She would make certain of it. She also didn't let go of me. She sat there for several minutes with me in her arms. She only let go of her grip once I was calm, breathing steadily & she knew I was okay. We held hands for a bit & she asked me to talk to her about my life. She told me that by talking about grandchildren & life, I would stay calm & we would get through the flight together.

Later in the flight I asked to speak to the Flight Attendent to clarify I was not demanding oxygen, but giving a head's up to my circumstance. That if there was an "event" I expected oxygen & care be given me. I told her I didn't expect an "event" at all, but the doctors had given direction for the communication. A second time, this person goes crazy on me, asking for a doctor's note. She becomes louder & louder & tells people several rows back of this demanding lady, etc, etc & that's not how this works when flying. That you can't just show up on a flight & start making demands... so, at this point, Nancy & I just sat tight & talked the remainder of the flight for me to stay calm & terminate the flight. Nancy was an angel in place for me that day! God sat her in that seat & she ministered to me in only a way Holy Spirit would provide. She is a nurse, a mother (& understood I just left my daughter, which didn't make matters easier.) Most importantly, she is a believer! She & I had a bond from the moment she wrapped her arms around me!

Nancy & I decided to become Facebook friends since we had so much in common & she wanted to follow my progress & pray for me. I wanted to follow the upcoming wedding of her son, too. So, that afternoon, we became fb friends. But, there's a bit more to the story. Later in the flight as it was about to end, the leader of the team on the flight came to me. I guess she had heard from other passengers & from her co-worker about the earlier exchange. She asked me about it & others told her of hearing her talk even several rows back to other passengers. This Attendent began apologizing like crazy. She, in fact, apologized over & over, again. (That's really beside the point, but did make things a bit better.)

Now, the last bit of the story. Nancy, who helped me beyond measure that flight, lives in Joplin, MO. Little did she & I know that the very next Sunday, her town would be hit & hit hard, by a massive tornado. The tornado took their family home & also took the Chick-Fil-A they own & operate in Joplin! Her life was hit very, very hard within days of her ministering to me! Since then, her wonderful church, the whole town & even strangers have come into Jopln & ministered back to her & all those who had devastating losses from the storm!

I've been able to pray for Nanacy a lot since that flight back in May. God put us on a plane together & bonded us in a way that can't be done without Jesus. Nancy & I have said that we'll be friends in heaven & will spend much time together there. Our lives here only crossed on that airplane, & that's God's doing! He did that for me.

God constantly is working for me! God constantly loves me! He constantly provides for every need! Yes, that day & that flight was another God day!

Blessings!

5 comments:

  1. What a great story! So thankful for all God is doing in your life and that you share it with us so beautifully! It's amazing to think about how He goes before us to help us in our circumstances. What a sweet friendship, an eternal friendship He gave you that day! Blessings on you sweet girl! Love you much, Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just want to know if that flight attendant was properly reprimanded - that makes me so mad! But so very thankful that God had you covered for the situation - He is so faithful - guess we'll have to trust him to take care of Ms. Rude!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful story, Sharon. I totally agree that it was a God thing. My name is Art Lynch ... better known as Amy Carder's father. I have been following your blog for some time. I am always encouraged. At 72 I think a lot about leaving wonder when and how. Isn't it wonderful to be unafraid? Thanks for your faith ... courage ... and willingness to share your life with us. May God continue to use you to His glory.
    Art Lynch

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sharon,
    Though I have met Mike before I don't think we have ever met. I am a member at The Hills. Just wanted to let you know you have been a friend to me unbeknownst to you. I started my "journey" (or as Debbie says "march") in January 2008 when diagnosed with colon cancer stage 3 that moved to stage 4 within months while on chemo. Through my ups and downs I have seen your ups and downs and it is encouraging to share "normal" in a new context. It is good to be able to hear someone else talk about death, pain, and loss as they face it as most friends/family are not open to this discussion...lol. Thank you for your honesty and openness and your stable walk with our Father. Just wanted to let you know that God does use you in ways you may not be aware. Thank you for paving the way for your sisters. Love you bunches and pray you will have strength to enjoy the family times and your time with the Father; and that your medical team will control the pain. Have a great day! Your sis in Him ~ janiechambless@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for Sharing this story, Aunt Sharon. We love you.

    ReplyDelete