Thursday, February 24, 2011

Best Birthday Ever!

Yesterday was my 54th birthday & I think it was my best- ever! The day began very early getting up & to the hospital for the port-cath surgery. Chemo is administered through the port instead of dircetly into my veins, saving them from the potency of these drugs. (The first port was removed last September during reconstruction surgery since I was doing so well!) While in line registering, friends from The Hills church were in the same line for a procedure, so God showed His face right off the bat- again! As we waited, we waited together... God gives us community everywhere!

Then, Susan, "my" surgical RN who's seen us through all 5 surgeries came out to the waiting room for nothing but hugs & encouraging words that she's been in prayer over us & will not leave my side through this surgery! I've said it before, but God is RIDICULOUS in His blessings!

Later in pre-op busy nurses were getting paperwork, IV's, etc & know us from previous surgeries. One, in particular, is surviving breast cancer, too. They all treated us like friends, not numbers. Wow! Then, "my" surgeon visits (who I think is the greatest breast surgeon ever!) She is matter of fact, tells me she's got me & puts me even at more ease! She's in shock about this re-occurance, too, since I had seen her out of the office only a couple of weeks ago & was looking so great! "My" Plastic surgeon who was there for another surgery but heard I was there, came over just to hug me & give his encouragement, too! Love that man! He's helped re-build not only my physical body, but the emotioal, too. OK! So, already, God was showing us his goodness! Taylor & Paisley were there with Mike & me & that's a blessing in & of itself. For her & us. Being far away these last two years were difficult on her... she'd come in after surgeries to help with recovery, but being here now is what we both want & need. So, thank you, God!

If this wasn't enough blessing already, 3 executives of the hospital come into pre-op with a dozen cupcakes for my birthday! Really?? This is way beyond thoughtful of them! These women are believers & prayful for the patients they encounter in their facility. Prayerful of our family! (Texas Health Harris Methodist Hospital- Southlake- HIGHLY recommend!) They've been using some of my quotes for their web-site & a magazine article that's coming out soon, & I've given them permission to use anything I write if it will help any woman & family facing cancer of any kind! Through tears & encouraging words, we had a great visit & then off to surgery I went! (But, only after a hug from an amazing daughter & granddaugher & kiss from my sweet husband!)

Sugery went well- home to rest- Taylor stopped for Nothing Bundt Cakes for me (AMAZING!) for later in the day. The afternoon was very restful & then the girls cooked a fabulous birthday dinner for me! We went to Eric & Randi's for the dinner & I ate like a pig! Really, it was embarrassing! Mike & I got to hold & play with all 3 grandkids, so I'd say this was the best birthday, ever!

God was all over the day! He's gone before us in amazing ways, providing amazing people & revealing His amazing self! I ONLY walk this road in His strength, because my own is not near enough! Yep, 54 is a very good number!

Blessings!

2 comments:

  1. You are such an inspiration Sharon!
    I know you will get through this test because of our God and your very positive outlook on life.
    My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. Happy belated birthday. Cheryl Barwegen

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are a blessing Sharon. Thank you for being an awesome mentor and role model for my two daughters, Kendra & Monica. They hold you in such high esteem. We are adding our prayers for you from Midland.

    ReplyDelete