Friday, June 12, 2009

"Get 'er done!"

For as long as I've known Mike, I've heard, "Get 'er done." This can-do attitude of his has served us well through chemo because on the mornings of treatment, we get up & just "get 'er done." Whether it's mowing the lawn, folding laundry or chemo, that's the approach.

Other subjects in life are not as easily faced head-on. However, the "get 'er done" approach still works & is necessary in some very tough arenas. The specific ones on my heart this morning are wills & legal medical paperwork. (Yes, I've been awake & thinking since about 3am! LOL!)

Many, many years ago when the girls were very young, we had our wills drawn up & filed. If you have children, you MUST "get 'er done!" This can be a daunting topic, at first, & one that you & your spouse have to take on. No time to shy away from drawing up a will if you have kiddos! Mike & I discussed, made decisons, & took care of this & I'm so glad we did. (Eventhough, through God's grace, never needed it when they were little- it was the stewardship of "getting 'er done!" & legally having matters in order that mattered.)

There's also the personal decision of organ donation. (This one was easy for me since at about 18 years of age I decided I wanted to be an organ donor & have others benefit from my organs should that circumstance ever arise. Now that cancer is in the picture, I'm thinking that option is off the table! You think?? LOL!) But, I know this isn't an easy decison for others... just give it some thought & let your family know what you decide.

Since then, a Living Will, Medical Directive & Medical POA have been signed, notorized & filed. (Thanks, Eric! Should I be worried that you were so willing to help your mother-in-law with this paperwork?? Just kidding! Hmmm???? LOL!) All the family knows what I want & don't want medically. This paperwork is in order because I love them & can make decisions now & maybe save them making decisions for me down the road. Yes, they're difficult & sobering topics & completely necessary.

I'm not at all sure why this topic is on my heart this morning. Maybe bringing up the subject will prompt some to write wills & get that part of life in order, I don't know. Through cancer, there are a lot of frank discussions had & decisions made that create clarity in values, thoughts & beliefs. Cancer has a powerful way of weeding through what's important & what can wait. Taking care of people we love the most- through these legal venues- is high priority.

"Get 'er done", people, "get 'er done!"

Blessings!


No comments:

Post a Comment