Monday, June 29, 2009

"It's Not About Me, It's Not about Now"

Just have not had the energy in the last few days to write much but love & appreciate all your prayers on my behalf. This is an amazingly difficult journey & one I've never fully appreciated. Not that I didn't care, but I certainly didn't understand the full extent of what others may have been going through. But, God completely sustains in a powerful way even when a particular day may take all I've humanly got!

One of the pitfalls of a long & life threatening illness is the tendency to make it all about me. The doctors I need to see, medicines I must take, tests I have to endure, appointments I must keep, pain I have to face & on & on. So much of the focus is demanded of me in order to do the things that have to be done to get well, or "fixed" & I have to continually balance those demands with the love & care of others & keep God's perspective on my life. This is NOT as easy as it sounds... keeping perspective is difficult at times & it's only by His grace I can do it at all!

Words from a serman Max Lucado preached years ago constantly ring in my head, "It's not about me & it's not about now. It's about Him & about forever." Max is an incredible author & preacher & these words have reminded me over & over that God is the center of my life, not me. I have a soul that's going to live forever, so these few years on earth are just that... few. It's all important that the life I live now prepares me for the life I'm to live forever with the Lord. My life's journey isn't about me but about glory given to God through me. Being so short-sighted to say my life is limited to these few decades steals glory from the One who gave me the gift of life in the first place. He wants glory for now & eternity so anything & everything here points me to Him & forever!

Another MRI is set for noon today & just like I have in previous tests, I will repeat these words over & over as I lay perfectly still in that imaging machine. "It's not about me & not about now. It's not about me & not about now." This helps focus my perspective on events & demands of the day. My life - all of it- is about Him & eternity!

It's interesting what the Lord brings to mind & heart to comfort at times like the MRI imaging test, but the song I have & will sing again is,

"Lord, You are more precious than silver.
Lord, You are more costly than gold.
Lord, You are more beautiful than diamonds,
And, nothing I desire compares to You."

Please pray for my relentless focus on the Lord. Pray I will not get side-tracked with all the "me" stuff. Pray God will make our way clear as tests results are received & decisions are made. All glory goes to Him for it would be too grevious to waste life's journey to keep it "all about me!"

Blessings!





1 comment: