Thursday, March 19, 2009

FAQ's...

Q: You look like you feel well and not sick at all. How are feeling?
A: I have had no discomfort at all (until chemo). But before I found the knot under my arm and started treatments, I felt just fine. Didn't feel ill or anything.

Q: What exactly is chemo and how often do you have treatments?
A: I'm not a doctor but can give you a lay person's understanding of chemo. Chemotherapy is a mixture "cocktail" of different medicines combined to attack and kill cancer cells that are rapidly reproducing and out-of-control. The problem with chemo is that it can't tell the good from the bad cells, so basically, it's killing everything to give the good cells opportunity to reproduce. "One size- does NOT fit all" with chemo. Pathology reports break down the make-up of the particular cancer which gives Onconolgists the information they need to mix the "cocktail" for that particular cancer on that particular patient. Breast cancers can be very different from each other- all depends on the make-up of those cells- and there are various treatments and various "cocktails." My particular regiment is chemo every two weeks (8 rounds) lasting over a period of 16 weeks. Mine is a particularly aggresive "cocktail" to combat such aggressive cells. Different medicines in the chemo mixtures have different side-effects. (That's why you see some women lose their hair and others keep it... their chemo may be a completely different "cocktail." OK- enough of my highly intellectual medical explanations!

Q: How do you feel after chemo?
A: Generally speaking, I'll have several rough days following each round of chemo, be at home, then, as my body reproduces healthy red & white blood cells, I'll begin to feel better & stronger- just in time for my next round!

Q: What can we do for you?
A: PRAY! I do not mean this lightly. We are DEPENDING on your prayers and God's strength to get us through. Right now, with just Mike and me, I don't think we need dinners brought to us... YET. I think there's coming a time in this marathon where we'll rely more and more on you. Mike makes or gets me whatever I feel like eating at the moment... since planning ahead to what might sound good isn't really working for me. He makes a mean omlet, etc! He completely spoils me!

Q: What can we pray specifically?
A: My body respond to treatment; minimized side-effects; PROTECTION of my whole family (if you know me at all, I don't need elaborate on this one!); strength, courage, peace, protection of my heart and steadfast focus on the Lord. I do NOT want my head turned to the right or left, but to walk this journey the way He wants me to... bringing Him glory. I can't do this without your prayers and encouragement. Thank Him for me! I'm ridiculously blessed! I mean this with all my heart! It's unbelievable- unless you know my Father... then, you get it! So, thank Him- above all!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for keeping us updated! We are praying! So many prayers are going up for you. Ray's sister at Heritage Church emailed & wanted you to know you are on their prayer list as well.God bless you every step of the way! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sharon,
    You inspire me! Thank you for sharing your journey. Doing so causes me to love our Father all the more! You are in my prayers daily.
    Love,
    Christi McCall

    ReplyDelete