Monday, March 9, 2009

Up for a fight?

Not sure how to begin this post other than to say I sure am thankful for all of you guys loving and praying for Mike and me! We'll be forever grateful and are now asking even more love and prayers on our behalf.
We met with the surgeon and oncologist this afternoon. The breast cancer I have is aggressive and fast growing, and not the news we were hoping to hear. Chemotherapy is beginning Wednesday. I'll be in this treatment for 16 weeks, then will undergo surgery, which will be followed by 6 and a half weeks of radiation. The advantage doctors have found in administering chemo first is that it can immediately attack the microscopic cells as well as the masses and avoids the delay in healing from surgery. I'll be closely monitored weekly and have access to a host of support staff. So, here we go. Are you up for a fight? There's one ahead! I'm not talking about a fight against God, because He's on our side! I'm talking about a fight against a disease that's invaded my earthly body. We need your prayers and are counting on God's grace to get us through the journey before us.
Let me be clear. Mike and I love our Lord. We do not waiver on living our lives for Him. Our very existence is from Him and for Him. He will see us through. No matter the outcome, we are His and we praise Him. Please, please, praise Him with us! There are so many things we don't know, but we do know we are His, created and loved by Him, and will live with Him forever because of His saving grace toward us. We don't want anyone to mistaken this disease for a lack of love from our Lord.
We thank you from the bottom of our hearts for the cards and emails we've received from you. We stay overwhelmed at the love you have expressed toward us! We count ourselves the richest of all people to have you by our side!

9 comments:

  1. Those who live in the shelter of the Most High will find rest in the shadow of the Almighty. This I declare about the LORD: He alone is my refuge, my place of safety; he is my God, and I trust him.

    For he will rescue you from every trap and protect you from deadly disease. He will cover you with his feathers. He will shelter you with his wings. (Psa 91) Bless you, Don

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dearest Sharon, we are indeed praying for you and your family. Your side-lines stand are FULL and we are so glad to be part of that crowd, cheering you on through the fight. Thank you for the reminders that you are still your same faith-filled self and HE is still the same faithful God. You are a blessing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you know this already, but Juanda and I are available 24/7, 7 days a week to help you guys anyway we can. And please know that no request is too big or too small. Love you guys and we are praying for you daily.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Precious Sharon - It was heart-breaking to read this tonight - but we do not lose heart and we will press in and promise to lift your name and your body up to God through the night and every night. God is gracious and we ask for the grace to cover you in this time of great need.

    Amen and Amen!

    ~marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sharon, Sharon,Sharon, my heart is aching...the news of the day, as you said on the first day, just stinks. But this path is set and we must confidently know that the path will be walked with a faithful loving God. A God...no, The God, that wants to hold you close enough that you feel His faithful& loving beating heart on each step of this journey.

    My goodness, I love you sweet friend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sharon, I love you and Mike, and my heart broke when I read this. But you said it all with the words, "No matter the outcome, we are His, and we praise Him."

    Thank you for your honesty and for allowing us to join the battle with you. I'll be praying from this side of the pond!

    Mary Beth Bodiford

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sharon, We proudly walk this road with you and Mike. My heart aches for the fierceness of this attack against you, but we all stand strong WITH you and hold you in our prayers and hearts every step of the way. You are up for the challenge, your heart is strong and your faith is stronger - Satan has picked the wrong family to try and mess with - God will be glorified! Much love - Lynette

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sharon, you are a blessed woman and you have so many people around you that love and care very deeply for you and Mike. I hope you know I am with you every step of this fight and I will come running anytime you need me. I love you two very much and am praying constantly for strength and healing. Love you bunches!! Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sharon, I smile through the tears as I think of you my precious friend! Mike & I will be praying for you and Mike every step of the way. And we know that our God is bigger than disease. One of my favorite scriptures is Psalm 103:1-5 "Praise the Lord, O my soul; all my inmost being praise his holy name. Praise the Lord, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits - who forgives all my sins and heals all your diseases; who redeems your life from the pit and crowns you with love and compassion, who satisfies your desires with good things so that your youth is renewed like the eagle's." We will be standing on the truth of God's Word as I know you will. I'm available any time you need me. Love you, Sara

    ReplyDelete