Friday, March 27, 2009

Yes to Rest!

Thinking about the subject of "rest" lately. Doctors have told me numerous times that my body MUST have rest in order to re-build the healthy blood cells the chemo is killing along with the cancerous cells. Awe, rest... sounds good, doesn't it? But, for me it's easier said than done. At times, I find rest illusive. There's always something to do, somewhere to go, someone needing something. Rest? When? How?

I dare say all young parents I know, don't even know the definition of rest; Then, there's school, sports, youth activities, etc, etc, etc. You'd think "empty-nesters" would get plenty of rest, but, you'd be wrong. Life is as busy as ever, so, rest remains evasive.

Jesus says, "Come to me all you who are weary and carry heavy burdens and I will give you rest." I don't think He's just talking about sleeping or vacations, He's talking about true rest for the soul. Rest from deep within. Jesus says He'll give rest to me- as a gift. So, that's what I'm doing. I'm taking Him at His word and giving Him the burdens I carry, laying them down and resting in Him. Resting from the burdens of life, from illness, brokenness, resting from careers and ambition, purely resting. I'm resting in waiting rooms, resting in traffic, resting at chemo, resting at home. I'm going to Jesus at every turn because that's where He's said to go... straight to Him, and resting in my soul. When you see me next, you may think I'm awake and active, but I'll really be resting in Jesus!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Sharon!

    I've been meaning to write ever since you posted that heavy, heavy message about your hair the other day - whoa - you were brutally honest and laid it all out about your trust and dependance on God. Even though you struggled about it - thanks for being so honest with all of us as you know how we women 'hang on to our hair'! but as Randy Travis says in his song 'I'm Gonna Love you forever' - 'I didn't fall in love with your hair'! So true for our hubbys!

    I've been praying as so many have and last night was praying the 23rd Psalm for you and thought there must be a song that speaks of 'walking through the valley of the shadow of death' when the song 'You Never Let Go' came to my mind so here it is and it is so very precious!! Just for you, my dear sister:

    Even tho I walk through the valley of the shadow of death
    Your perfect love is casting out fear
    And even when I'm caught in the middle of the storms of this life
    I won't turn back
    I know you are near

    And I will fear no evil
    For my God is with me
    And if my God is with me
    Whom then shall I fear?
    Whom then shall I fear?

    Oh, no, You never let go
    Through the calm and through the storm
    Oh, no, You never let go
    In every high and every low
    Oh, no, You never let go
    Lord, You never let go of me.

    And I can see a light that is coming for the heart that holds on
    A glorious light beyond all compare
    And there will be an end to these troubles
    But until that day comes
    We'll live to know You here on the earth

    Oh, no, You never let go
    Through the calm and through the storm
    Oh, no, You never let go
    In every high and every low
    Oh, no, You never let go
    Lord, You never let go of me.

    Yes, I can see a light that is coming for the heart that holds on
    and there will an an end to these troubles
    But until that day comes
    Still I will praise You, still I will praise You

    Oh, no, You never let go
    Through the calm and through the storm
    Oh, no, You never let go
    In every high and every low
    Oh, no, You never let go
    Lord, You never let go of me.


    And here is the link to watch it on YouTube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIAdgLR1ZGw

    I posted it to my Facebook dedicated to you!

    ~marilyn

    ReplyDelete